Thursday, April 19, 2012

Perfectly Roasted Potatoes & 4 Year Anniversary

Today was our four year wedding anniversary:) the hubs( James) and I cooked a whole chicken, roasted red potatoes and steamed some fresh broccoli. We also had mojitos while we were cooking our delicious dinner ( it was a simple anniversary for us but absolutely perfect). I figured I could share my perfectly roasted potatoes. I found the idea for the recipe on the food network... but I am not one who closely follows recipes instead I get ideas from them and come up with my own dish so here it is.

So for the perfect roasted red potatoes you need:

3 to 4 red potatoes washed and scrubbed- skin on
2 garlic gloves- minced
Paprika- a pinch or so- leaving this up to your discretion too much will make the food taste bitter
2 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp of olive oil
1/4 of  a white onion- finely chopped
Fresh parsley- chopped
Pepper to taste
In a pan on low heat- melt butter and then add a tbsp of olive oil.  Add paprika and minced garlic- stir. continue to cook on low for about 3 minutes.

Set the butter mixture aside and cut the onion up- then mix it in... cut the potatoes and place in a small cooking pan.. pour the remaining olive oil over the potatoes along with the butter mixture and then pepper to taste. I cooked this along  with our chicken... the tempt was 450- but if cooking alone 400 should do and for 45 to hour. With the chicken I cooked it for about 45 mins and the turned to  broil on low for 5 minutes to really brown the potatoes.

In the meantime while potatoes cook chop up the parsley and set aside

Remove the potatoes from oven with ready ( soft when poked with fork). Add parsley and mix it in well. Potatoes are ready to serve!


The potatoes ready for the oven :)

All cooked and ready to eat :) ( Ooo look at the tasty chicken too!)



p.s The chicken was relatively easy to make- buy a whole chicken- small to medium- if you froze the chicken then let it thaw out of course.I wash the chicken off and if it came with giblets - remove from the inside of the chicken- I don't really use the giblets. I brine the chicken before cooking by placing the chicken in a large pot with warm water ( covered- make sure chicken is fully submerged in water) and herbs/ spices- fresh rosemary, thyme, garlic, and lemon peel ( dried)... After brining all day ( I started this in the morn) you will remove the chicken and use the same spices as before and rub the mixture onto the chicken.You can stuff the inside of the chicken with fresh rosemary sprigs, a cut lemon, and other herbs if you like; we also placed some of the brine juices into the pan with the chicken- cooked on 450 for an hour or until done ( check with cooking thermometer).

Hope you enjoy the tasty potatoes!
=^.^=
LexxyV


p.s while this is not exactly what some people would call primal I beg you all to visit Primal Toads site and read his post about potatoes. Also I have found that I do way better with potatoes when I eat then with a dark green veggie and chicken or fish. With red meat I feel a bit comatose from eating the potatoes in conjunction with the beef- this may or may not help you- but it is worth a shot- most of the time I eat foods to keep my energy balanced so I can do more throughout the day.. It is a long hard road when trying to lose weight- I am constantly experimenting with my food.





No comments:

Post a Comment